- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1 egg, separated
- 1-1/2 cups refrigerated hazelnut nondairy creamer *
- 1-1/2 cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Additional sugar
SPICED BUTTER: (Optional)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients; cut in butter until
- crumbly. In a bowl, whisk egg yolk and creamer; add to dry
- ingredients just until moistened. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Divide dough in thirds.
- Pat each portion into a 8-in. circle; cut into eight wedges.
- Separate wedges and place on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Beat egg white; brush over dough. (< I skip this step) Sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake at 425° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the spiced butter ingredients;
- beat until smooth. Serve with warm scones. Yield: 24 scones.
*I have vowed to try all the different flavors of creamers out there. I've tried many so far and the flavor of the scone does not change much. I am leary of trying something like the gingerbread creamer though. I must say that I prefer these scones room temperature.