- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons grated lemons, rind of
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup whole milk (2% worked fine)
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Position rack in middle of oven.
- Mix flour, 1 cup sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, lemon peel and salt in food processor.
- Add butter and cut in, using on/off turns, until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Whisk egg, and lemon juice in medium bowl to blend.
- Add flour mixture.
- Using on/off turns, process until moist clumps form.
- Add 1/3 cup milk.
- Using on/off turns, process just until dough comes together, adding more milk if dough seems dry.
- Using floured hands, gather dough into ball. Split into 2 equal halves.
- Flatten each to 8" round.
- Cut round into 8 wedges.
- Transfer scones to large baking sheet lines with parchment paper; brush with milk.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 tbs sugar.
- Bake until scones are golden brown , about 25 minutes.
- Transfer to rack and cool.
These were a bit crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Very Good!